Flipkart, in a Bangalore launch event today, announced the launch of Ping — a new feature embedded within the app, which lets you ask your friends when you’re puzzled while shopping — in short, a social networking experience added to your shopping experience.
Flipkart’s Ping can be accessed by clicking on a ‘Chat icon’ on the top-right corners of the app. Once clicked, you can simply share products with friends in your network and take their recommendations for buying a particular product.
However, Ping works in a way closer to WhatsApp and less closer to Facebook. This is because, with Ping, consumers get to choose contacts they want to share their chosen products with and have real time conversation with them on the Flipkart’s app.
Drag. Drop. Share. 3 easy steps to social shopping with #FlipkartPing pic.twitter.com/jyHJFrQvRn
— Flipkart (@Flipkart) August 25, 2015
The feature, just like Flipkart’s previous Image search feature, isn’t new though. Many startups have ventured out to build great apps in social shopping domain, helping you connect with your friends while you browse through products.
However, apart from ping’s launch, it was Flipkart’s focus towards Mobile app traction and consumer numbers which sounded interesting. The company just recently announced that it is not going the app-only way, in the near future at least. Thus Punit Soni’s presentation was perhaps to convince people and prepare a platform for the app-only way.
More to come, Stay tuned.
Recommended for you
- Flipkart, Snapdeal Witness Surge In Sales, GMV
- At Over $200 Million, Snapdeal’s Losses For Current Financial Year Increase Five-Fold
- Yahoo partners with Flipkart to power its rapidly declining Shopping portal
- Flipkart raises a staggering ₹ 6,000 crores ( $1 Billion) in fresh funding, all set to take on Amazon
- India’s Enforcement directorate begins probe against a dozen e-retail firms
- We didn’t source enough products and deals in advance to cater to your requirements : Flipkart
- Flipkart hires ex-Google Exec Punit Soni as it looks to bolster presence in Valley
- Another ₹ 1000 crore penalty on Flipkart for Big Billion Day sale